The Great British Bake Off is back and many people get motivated to get into the kitchen and start baking. While this seems like a lot of fun it is important to keep your back and neck in tip top condition while working.
Baking your favourite tasty treat can mean long periods of standing, stretching and reaching for dishes and baking equipment. However by following these top tips from our Stoke on Trent chiropractor you can bake to your heart’s content and not have to worry about troublesome back and neck pain.
- Set your work tops at the right height. A work surface which is too low can cause you to crouch and too high and you will be over stretching. Both of these place unnecessary strain on the back
- If you need to lift or carry heavy pots, baking dishes or heavy mixing bowls and utensils lift them with your back relaxed and knees slightly bent.
- When reaching up into high cupboards or crouching down to retrieve dishes in low cupboards, avoid bending from the waist which will reduce the stress placed on your lower back.
- If your back tends to ache with long periods of standing, make sure that you take regular breaks and do some stretches. Simple exercises such as walking around or stretching can reduce muscle tension and pain.
- When washing dishes stand with your feed shoulder width apart and make sure you are not hunched over the washing up bowl. Stand as upright as possible.
- If you have a dishwasher, make sure that you bend your knees when reaching for pots in the lower half of the machine.
Follow these simple tips to keep your back and neck safe while baking and enjoy your bakes!
Take your first step towards better health and call us on 01782 848 184 today
From the team at City Chiropractic Clinic
Our Chiropractors in Stoke on Trent are here to help you