With a very long weekend upon us shortly, many will use the time to turn their attention on undertaking DIY projects. Unfortunately, an increase in DIY activities often leads to an increase in patients seeking help from our chiropractors at our Stoke chiropractic clinic. Many of these visits could have been avoided by following some basic advice.
If you have DIY projects planned, our Stoke chiropractor has put together some timely advice to help keep your back safe when DIYing!
Back Safe DIY Advice
Wearing appropriate clothing and footwear. Wear loose fitting and comfortable clothing that will not restrict your movement. However, make sure any loose clothing will not get caught as you are working or cause a trip hazard. Wear comfortable shoes that provide adequate protection for your feet and ankles. If you are going to be outside working and the weather is fine, be sure to wear sunscreen or cover up and wear a hat.
Regard it as a workout
DIY tasks can be quite a workout! To avoid potential muscle strains be sure to do some warm-up stretches and do some warm-down stretches. Avoid repetitive strain type injuries by taking frequent breaks and varying your activities to not put excessive strain on a particular muscle group.
Lifting and carrying
There’s no getting away from it – there’s always a lot of carrying and lifting involved in any DIY project. There is some basic lifting and carrying advice that our chiropractor recommends whatever you are lifting and carrying:
- Plan ahead to work out your end destination and prepare a clear path to it. This will help avoid twisting your body or tripping over hazards along the way! These are two common causes of injuries our chiropractors see. If possible, prepare a place a resting place at waist height rather than at ground level.
- If the object is too heavy for you to manage, split it into lighter loads, use a trolley or wheelbarrow or ask someone for help.
- To further avoid twisting your body, face the direction you are going to move towards before lifting the object.
- Ensure your legs are wide enough apart to form a solid base to make you more stable, bend your knees and using a relaxed, straight back lift the object. Before moving off, check that the object is safe and secure in your arms.
- When carrying the object, keep it as close to your body as possible with your head and shoulders above your waist. Keep your body facing the direction you are heading in with your shoulders, hips and knees pointing in that direction.
- A common cause of injury occurs when placing objects down. When you are ready to lower the object, avoid twisting your body, maintain a solid base with your feet adequately apart, and bend your knees as you lower the object.
Using a ladder – think safety
Unfortunately ladder accidents are a common cause of DIY injuries. If you are going to use a ladder, our chiropractor recommends that you think about your safety before rushing up it. To protect your back, avoid any twisting of your body, keep your body facing towards the rungs of the ladder and never overreach when on the ladder.
Always remain mindful of your posture
As you work, remain mindful of your posture. From time-to-time check that your spine is straight and your core muscles are engaged. Avoid twisting your spine or placing your body into an unnatural position for long periods of time.
Visiting our Stoke chiropractors
If you do suffer pain or discomfort after undertaking DIY activities, our chiropractors at City Chiropractic Clinic in Stoke are here to help. To book an appointment with one of our chiropractic team, call our clinic on 01782 848 184 or you can book an appointment online on our website here.
What a few of our patients say about City Chiropractic Clinic
“Very thorough and professional but at the same tine friendly and helpful. I had an assessment followed by a treatment and shall return for further treatment. I now know what has been causing my problem so can start helping myself also. Well worth a visit.” Karen W (Google 5-Star Review)
“Extremely positive experience at City Chiropractic Clinic. Incredibly professional service from Dr. Mohamad Kammouh. Friendly and reassuring, with excellent results.
Would highly recommend. Thank you!” Shami S (Google 5-Star Review)
“I had heard amazing things about City Chiropractic Clinic and now I know why. I was made to feel welcome from the moment I walked through the door. Jayne on reception is super friendly, courteous and extremely professional dealing with the administration of my appointments.
Dr Burcu made me feel at ease immediately and she has a great sense of humour. She is enormously knowledgable and I have no doubt I’m in great hands. Everything is clearly explained to me at each visit and she takes the time to teach me and widen my understanding of what I’m dealing with and why, as part of the healing process. I have had significant improvement in my pain and issues concerning my back. Great team.” Jay P (Google 5-Star Review)