The Christmas countdown is now in full swing and there’s not much time left to get those gifts bought, wrapped and under the tree! If you’ve left your shopping until the last minute, you’ll benefit from these back-friendly tips from our Stoke on Trent chiropractor. After all, shopping bags are a whole load bigger and heavier at Christmas time and picking up a back injury is the last thing you want at this time of year!
Follow these tips to protect your back while Christmas shopping:
- Whenever you can, use a trolley for your shopping, even if you are only buying a few items. A trolley will reduce the amount of carrying you need to do and will prevent strain in your neck and shoulder muscles.
- Bend at the knees and keep your back straight whenever you lift anything heavy. It only takes a few seconds to lift in the correct position, but it could save you from a back injury that could take months to heal.
- Distribute weight evenly between shopping bags. This will ensure that you can balance the weight of your bags evenly when you are carrying them and will reduce the risk of straining one side of your back, neck or shoulders.
- Do you know that an item held at arm’s length can seem up to seven times heavier than its actual weight? Keep any bags close to your body while you are carrying them.
- Take your bags back to your car regularly or use any storage facilities available as you shop. Many shopping centres offer shopping “crèches” during the festive period, so take advantage of them!
- Take regular breaks and keep hydrated while shopping. Drinking plenty of water will reduce your risk of inflammation and painful muscle spasms.
Remember that nothing is worth risking your health over – not even that Christmas shopping list!
If you are suffering back pain or neck pain, get in contact with us and find out how we can help you.