I often remind patients at our chiropractic clinic in Stoke on Trent about the importance of maintaining good posture. Good posture can help you avoid several degenerative musculoskeletal conditions, reduce your risk of injury, help you avoid pain, and improve the quality of your life.
However, many clients still struggle with their posture because they have several ingrained habits which are hard to shake off. In this post, I’ll explain why good posture is so important and share some tips for maintaining good posture when standing, sitting, and laying down.
If you would like to visit a friendly and professional Chiropractor in Stoke on Trent, contact our City Chiropractic on 01782 848 184. Feel free to continue reading to learn more about maintaining good posture.
What Is Posture?
Posture refers to the position you keep your body in while standing, sitting, or laying down. ‘Good’ posture is positioning yourself so the body’s joints are correctly aligned and your body is well supported. When positioned this way, you will avoid placing an excessive amount of strain on your muscles and joints.
Several major muscle groups are important for maintaining good posture, including the larger back muscles, abdominal muscles, and hamstrings. These muscles help us remain erect and prevent the forces of gravity from pushing our body forward.
The human body is naturally inclined to exhibit good posture. However, when we perform unnatural activities, like sitting on a couch watching television for 8 hours, our posture begins to change in a negative way.
Why Does Posture Matter?
Having good posture makes it easier to walk, run, sit, and lay down in a way that places the least amount of strain on the body. Some of the advantages that come from having good posture include:
- Less strain on the ligaments and joints
Good posture keeps the joints correctly aligned, which decreases the likelihood of injury.
- Avoiding premature wear and tear
Another advantage of correct joint alignment is that you can avoid abnormal wearing of joint surfaces, which reduces your risk of experiencing problems like arthritis and joint pain.
- Less pain
Many of the clients visiting our chiropractic clinic in Stoke on Trent say that they experience less back and neck pain after correcting their posture. This occurs because they are no longer positioning their back or neck in unusual ways that cause damage.
- The body works more efficiently
Your muscles work more efficiently when the joints are correctly aligned and they won’t waste energy on positioning the body in an unnatural way. This is particularly useful for athletes.
- Prevents muscle strain
Good posture will reduce the risk of placing too much strain on specific muscles.
Can You Correct Your Posture?
Absolutely! Many people successfully improve their posture by visiting one of our chiropractors in Stoke on Trent. Chiropractic care has been proven to be useful for correcting both long-term and short-term postural issues. With a correct diagnosis and adherence to a treatment regime, anyone can improve their posture.
Maintaining great posture
Here are some tips for maintaining good posture when you are sitting, standing, and laying down.
How do I maintain good posture while sitting?
Sitting properly will help you avoid any neck, back and shoulder pain. To sit properly:
- Don’t cross your legs
- Keep your ankles below your knees with your feet on the ground
- If your feet can’t reach the ground use a footrest
- Maintain a small gap between your lower back and the seat
- Adjust your chair so it provides some lower back support. Alternately, you could use a very slim cushion, towel, or back support
- Keep your knees at the same level as your hips or lower
- Keep your forearms parallel to the ground
- Keep your shoulders relaxed
- Don’t sit in the same position for an extended amount of time. Get up and walk every 30 minutes.
How do I maintain good posture while standing?
Having good posture makes it much easier to stand for long periods without experiencing pain. To stand properly:
- Place your feet shoulder-width apart
- Keep your knees slightly bent
- Place most of your weight on the balls of your feet
- Allow your arms to hang down by your sides
- Keep your stomach relatively taught
- Look directly forward and keep your head in line with your shoulders (not leaned forward or backwards)
- Occasionally shift your weight from your toes to your heels and from one foot to the other
How do I maintain good posture while laying down?
Use the following guidelines to maintain good posture:
- Use pillows to help you deal with any postural problems
- Find the right mattress for your preferred sleeping style. Firm mattresses are better for back sleepers and plush mattresses are better for side sleepers
- Don’t sleep on your stomach
- If you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your legs to maintain a straight spine
- If you sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knees to take pressure off your lower back
If you are suffering back pain or if you want to improve your posture, book a visit with one of our experienced and professional team of Chiropractors in Stoke on Trent. You can contact City Chiropractic on 01782 848 184.
Take your first step towards better health and call us on 01782 848 184 today
From the team at City Chiropractic Clinic
Our Chiropractors in Stoke on Trent are here to help you