If you are suffering low back pain then you’re not alone. Unfortunately low back pain is on the increase across the world.
Of course if you are suffering low back pain right now this is of little consolation to you. However, new research published in The Lancet, a prestigious medical journey has highlighted the best forms of treatment for low back pain.
Three papers were published as part of the series covering the trends in diagnosing and treating lower back pain around the world. Among the contributing authors are, Jan Hartvigsenn and Alice Kongsted, two leading researchers in the field of chiropractic.
Some key suggestions noted in the research are that movement and physical activity are the best treatment for low back pain. Another point to note is that in the West low back pain is over medicalised.
The publication of this series couldn’t be more timely given the increase in low back and the demand for an effective ways to educate about it and manage and treat it are so great.
The good news is that chiropractic offers a drug free alternative to treat back pain effectively.
Tips For Keeping Your Back In Good Health
Our chiropractors at City Chiropractic in Stoke on Trent have put together their tips for a healthier back.
- Stand & move: If you sit for long periods of time e.g. at your desk or on your sofa watching TV – make sure you take regular breaks every 30 minutes to stand up and move around.
- Take regular exercise: Staying active is beneficial to the health of your spine. It’s important to choose a form of exercise that is right for your level of fitness and also that you will enjoy. Start with more gentle forms of exercise and build up your level of activity. Some great options to consider are walking, swimming and yoga.
- Carrying and Lifting: Carry objects as close to your body as possible. Always face the direction you are heading to in order to avoid twisting your body. Bend at the knees, not the waist whenever you are lifting an object.
- Support your sleep: Make sure you sleep on a mattress that supports you properly. It’s time to invest in a new mattress if it’s over 7 years old or you can feel the springs through it.
- Get a better posture: Improving your posture is simple. The British Chiropractic Association (BCA) has developed a 3 minute programme you can follow that will help improve your posture. Just do it once a day!
If you are suffering low back pain our experienced team of chiropractors are here to help. Call the clinic on 01782 848 184 and one of our friendly team will make an appointment for you.
Take your first step towards better health and call us on 01782 848 184 today
From the team at City Chiropractic Clinic
Our Chiropractors in Stoke on Trent are here to help you