It’s easy to take our spine for granted and overlook just how amazing it really is. It’s often not until we have a problem, such as back pain, that we really give it any thought. Our Stoke chiropractors are experts at assessing the function of joints and pay particular attention to the joints of the spine. Chiropractic treatment aims to improve and maximise spinal joint function. Working so closely with the spine gives us a true appreciation of how incredible it is and how important the healthy function of the spine is to people.
Our chiropractors at City Chiropractic Clinic in Stoke want to share 10 facts that may surprise you about your spine and hopefully will have you appreciate how truly amazing your spine is:
- The spine is a complex structure made up of many moving parts including vertebrae, joints, ligaments and muscles. Intervertebral discs sit between the vertebrae and act like shock absorbers.
- At birth, 33 vertebrae make up the spine, however, adults normally have 26 vertebrae as some vertebrae fuse together during the growing process.
- The spinal cord runs through the spinal column from the skull to the lower back and is part of the nervous system.
- The spinal cord is made up of a column of nerves, with 31 pairs branching out to carry messages between the brain and muscles.
- The spine carries over a million electrical nerve messages between the brain and body every day.
- The average man’s spinal column is 70 cms, and the average woman’s spinal column is 60 cms. The spinal cord is about 35 grams in weight.
- The vertebrae make up five distinct segments: Cervical (neck), Thoracic (middle mack), Lumbar (lower back), Sacrum, Coccyx (tailborn).
- The highest bone in the neck is named after the titan god Atlas, who was charged with holding up the sky.
- What do humans have in common with giraffes? Both have 7 cervical vertebrae, the bones that make up the neck. The giraffe’s cervical vertebrae are just much bigger!
- Cartilage can expand and contract. This explains why astronauts who have spent some time in space return to earth a couple of inches taller than when they left. Microgravity allows their cartilage to expand, hence they are taller. Opposite to this effect, gravity’s pull on our bodies causes cartilage to shrink and in turn as we age we lose height!
How Our Stoke Chiropractor Can Help You
At City Chiropractic Clinic, our chiropractors treat a range of conditions that affect the head, neck, back, shoulders, arms, and legs. To get the right diagnosis for your problem, our chiropractors take the time to look for the root cause of the problem as opposed to just treating your symptoms. You may be experiencing symptoms such as pain, pins and needles, and numbness in one area of your body, however, the underlying cause of the symptoms may stem from another area.
Our chiropractors treat a range of conditions including:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Headaches & Migraines
- Shoulder, Elbow & Wrist Pain
- Hip, Knee & Ankle Pain
- Generalised Aches and Pains
To book an appointment with one of chiropractic team, call our clinic on 01782 848 184 or book your appointment online here.
What a Few Of Our Patients At City Chiropractic Clinic In Stoke Say …
“Dr Mohamad.. what an absolute ledgend. Very professional and knowledgeable. He has truly supported me through my back pain and recovery. I will continue to have treatment to maintain my health. Highly recommend a visit.” Rebecca A (5-Star Google Review)
“After injuring my back at work I was in a world of pain I had a week on painkillers which eventually stopped helping so I contacted the practice. On my first visit Dr Burca diagnosed and explained my problem in detail very quickly, She gave me treatment, which is still ongoing, and constantly giving me exercises to assist with the adjustments, if your form is wrong she shows you how to correct it. Four weeks into my treatment now and I’m getting my life back and I can not thank them enough. The entire team and receptionists are very warm and friendly. Thank you so so much” Tunny J (5-Star Google Review)
“Fantastic clinic, can’t reccomend Dr Mo enough, a wizard at the human spine and great banter.” Alfir L (5-Star Google Review)